I have been asked many times what got me interested in genealogy. Can anyone ever pinpoint why they like what they like?? I guess growing up and spending quite a bit of my childhood at Gramma's house had a bit to do with it. She had boxes and boxes of pictures she would bring out and go through.
Gramma enjoyed taking me when she would go visit her aunts and uncles when we would go where she called "across the creek." She would take me to the cemeteries to put flowers on her parent's graves. She would take me to different cemeteries and tell me what family we had buried there.
I think what really infected me with my genealogy obsession was seeing my name in print in these books on the Culbreth family and the smaller on the Averitt family. I can remember spending hours just looking at the names in the book. If I came across anyone with the same last name, I wouldn't rest until I had checked the books to see exactly how we were related.
These books were the basis of my genealogy collection. Though these were first, my collection has exponentially grown. I'm sure I'll be posting about many of my books in the near future.
Gramma enjoyed taking me when she would go visit her aunts and uncles when we would go where she called "across the creek." She would take me to the cemeteries to put flowers on her parent's graves. She would take me to different cemeteries and tell me what family we had buried there.
I think what really infected me with my genealogy obsession was seeing my name in print in these books on the Culbreth family and the smaller on the Averitt family. I can remember spending hours just looking at the names in the book. If I came across anyone with the same last name, I wouldn't rest until I had checked the books to see exactly how we were related.
These books were the basis of my genealogy collection. Though these were first, my collection has exponentially grown. I'm sure I'll be posting about many of my books in the near future.

Comments
Post a Comment